How Can We Help?
Back pain is very common and normally improves within a few weeks or months.
In most cases the pain isn’t caused by anything serious and will usually get better over time.
There are things you can do to help relieve it. But sometimes the pain can last a long time or keep coming back.
To help ease back pain, there are a number of self-care techniques you can try:
- Take paracetamol or ibuprofen for pain relief. If taking ibuprofen, make sure you take it with food. Read the patient information leaflet before taking any medicine.
- Hot or cold compression packs, available from larger pharmacies, can also help with the pain.
- You can make your own cold compression pack by wrapping a bag of frozen food in a towel.
- Place a small firm cushion beneath your knees when you’re sleeping on your side. Or use several firm pillows to prop up your knees when lying on your back.
- It’s important to remain mobile by carrying on with your day-to-day activities, including work, as much as possible.
- Stay positive: studies show that if you keep positive, you’re likely to make a quicker recovery.
- Take care when lifting objects.
Visit Your Pharmacist
When to See Your GP
About the author